Beginning with our new 2021-2022 School Year on August 30, we will be offering in-person instruction for all instruments. Students will have the option to request online lessons if desired. We will continue to evaluate the Department of Education guidance as well as other state and federal guidance while keeping the health and safety of our students and families, as well as our faculty and staff as our top priority.
SCHOOL YEAR '21-22 (in-person & online programs)
Indian Hill Music believes it is imperative that we respond transparently and responsibly to the COVID-19 crisis in order to sustain a healthy and safe environment. The following list of protocols and policies outlines the measures we are actively taking, and that we will require our student families to take, in order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Learn more about our Fall Programs
SECTION 1: Indian Hill’s Commitment to Health and Safety for our In-Person Programs
- MASKS: Masks will be required by everyone inside the building at all times, and extra masks will be made available to individuals who did not bring one. Special masks and instrument coverings for woodwinds, brass, and voice will be required indoors. There are no mask requirements for outdoor activities.
- DISTANCING: For indoor common areas, all students, family members, employees, and visitors must ensure separation of 3 feet or more between individuals at all times. Other programs such as woodwinds, brass, and voice will have special distancing requirements (see below).
- AIR PURIFICATION: High quality air purifiers will be placed in each instructional space. Significant upgrades have been made to the HVAC filtration system in Blackman Hall, which will also be used for our summer programming.
- SIGNAGE: Visible signage has been posted throughout the site to remind staff and visitors of hygiene and safety protocols.
- SURFACES: High touch areas such as instruments, music stands, and piano benches will be wiped down with antibacterial wipes regularly.
- GENERAL HYGIENE: All individuals will be encouraged to avoid touching their face (particularly eyes, nose, and mouth) with their hands to prevent from getting infected; to cough/sneeze into their sleeve, preferably into their elbow; and to immediately and properly discard any tissues and then wash or sanitize hands.
- HAND HYGIENE: Alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol will be available throughout the building. Students and employees will also be instructed to wash hands frequently, especially before and after lessons and group instruction.
- FOOT TRAFFIC: Students and family members are asked not to congregate near entrances/exits or along the walkway area. The elevator will only be available to those who require it for physical reasons, including moving a heavy instrument, and will only be used by one person at a time.
- PICK-UP / DROP-OFF: With certain exceptions, students must enter the building by themselves. Parents or guardians will only be allowed inside the building for students age eight and under and only to take them to or from the appropriate drop-off or pick-up location, or if there is a special circumstance that makes the presence of a parent or guardian absolutely necessary.
- WAITING AREAS: There will be designated, socially distanced areas for students waiting for their lesson or class to begin. Students should wait in those marked areas before entering a studio until called by their teacher.
- WOODWINDS, BRASS, AND VOICE: Woodwind, brass, and voice students will maintain six feet of distance between themselves and all other individuals when playing or singing indoors. Voice students will use specially-designed choral masks; and woodwind and brass players will use instrument masks, bell covers, and/or spit cloths, depending on their instrument, while playing indoors.
- FOOD: No food or drink will be allowed in the building.
- ISOLATION: If a student exhibits symptoms that raise concern, they will be isolated from their peers immediately and placed in a designated Isolation Room while they wait for their parent or guardian to pick them up.
- POSITIVE CASES: If Indian Hill Music is notified of a positive case at our school, we will work with the local Board of Health as required for contact tracing in accordance with CDC, and state guidance. Upon the guidance from the Board of Health, the building areas affected will receive all necessary deep cleaning and disinfecting.
- UPDATING GUIDELINES: Indian Hill Music will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation locally and nationally in order to assess the implication of new restrictions and guidelines on student and employee safety. Plans will be adjusted as needed and communicated to the community directly and on this website.
SECTION 2: Student/Family Obligations
- Students / families must become familiar with the symptoms of COVID-19; when to seek medical attention; and the underlying health conditions that may make individuals more susceptible to contracting and suffering from a severe case of the virus. Details are on the CDC website here.
- Students / families must self-screen at home for symptoms such as fever or other signs of the virus. If a student has COVID-19 symptoms or is not feeling well, the student or family will notify Indian Hill and will not come to the building that day.
- Students / families must follow all relevant state and federal travel restrictions that might be in place while participating in an Indian Hill program.
- At all times, students / families must follow the health and safety protocols implemented by Indian Hill Music.
- Masks must be worn at all times indoors by every person on the Indian Hill Music premises.
- Students should bring an extra mask with them each day. Indian Hill Music will also have a supply of masks on hand if needed.
- All students / families must ensure separation of 3 feet or more between individuals at all times unless a lesser or greater distance is outlined in our protocols.
- Students / families must inform Indian Hill immediately, for the purposes of cleaning/disinfecting and contact tracing, if a student or immediate family member:
- receives a positive COVID-19 diagnosis while the student is enrolled in on-site programming at Indian Hill;
- receives a positive COVID-19 diagnosis within 14 days after the student has completed in-person programming at Indian Hill;
- has been in close contact with someone infected by COVID-19, with high chances of being infected themselves; and/or is caring for a family member infected by COVID-19.
- Is caring for a family member infected by COVID-19.